[Grid-announcements] NIC Mail Server Configuration Update

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 11 12:03:16 PDT 2006

The configuration of the NIC mail server will be updated shortly to
hopefully resolve some mail routing loops. These issues should not have
been visible to any users, as we do not currently offer e-mail services
besides a few mailing lists.

Issue:

There is a mail loop between smtp.nic.uoregon.edu and
mserve[1-4].uoregon.edu that occurs when mail is sent to
<host>.nic.uoregon.edu. All hosts have MX records that point to
mail.nic.uoregon.edu, but Mail does not perform local delivery for these
hosts; instead it forwards them on to its smarthosts, the main
uoregon.edu mail servers. These servers then bounce it back, and the
loop continues until the message hits its relay limit and is dropped.

Resolution:

mail.nic.uoregon.edu is going to be configured to accept mail for all
nic.uoregon.edu subdomains and hosts.

Impact:

Configuring the NIC mail server to accept mail for these hosts should
allow it to immediately drop messages to addresses at these hosts
instead of wasting time looping them around. All of the messages I have
seen to these hosts are actually Message IDs mistakenly harvested by
spammers as e-mail addresses. If anyone is actually relying on mail
passing through the NIC mail server in this format, please let me know
and I will make sure that mail is routed correctly to your host.

Brandon Davidson
Systems Administrator
Neuroinformatics Center
University of Oregon